Another Integral Explorer

INTEGRAL means comprehensive, inclusive, balanced, not leaving anything out. -Ken Wilber-

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, OR, United States

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Emerging Integral

I have called this blog Another Integral Explorer, because I have been strongly influenced by the work of Ken Wilber. I have also been more than passively interested in what is happening in the cultural currents of the Christian community, particularly the phenomena of the emerging church. In so many ways I think the evolution of a more integral consciousness is unfolding rapidly in our generation, and what we see happening in the emerging church is only a Christian expression of that evolution. Which is significant as our current North American cultural center of gravity, in terms of depth and span, is predominantly modern yet moving toward postmodern memes (see more on spiral dynamics here.)

I am personally tired of the ‘first tier’ culture wars of competing and contradictory values and feel my need for more patience and energy to nurture the process along. At least on a very basic developmental line from egotistic, to ethnocentric, to world centric I’d like to see more evidence of ‘second tier’ development, transcending and including previous stages, with more DEPTH, even if in the beginning we see less span.

Those of you who are either participants or voyeurs of the emerging church and are familiar with the language and concepts of spiral dynamics integral can detect in Brian McLaren’s recent article, Reflections on the Emerging Summit the call for more depth:

“These emerging priorities don't minimize previous concerns – about worship and liturgy, about evangelism, about new forms and approaches to church, about the need to grapple with issues of modernity and postmodernity. But in many ways - in my opinion at least - they point to a telos beyond ourselves and show why those previous concerns truly matter.”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marry me.

Check this! This is my signature over at "the ooze" forums:

"And if the trajectory of a system neither comes to rest nor exhibits periodicity but is highly erratic, it is under the influence of a so-called CHAOTIC ATTRACTOR."
~Laszlo"

From SES pgs. 81-82

In one of the posts that I did on August 31st, I also referenced another post I did about SD. That stuff is excellent foundation! And I talked about the "increasing telos" segment of Holons too when I was talking about how Emergent and Integral need to converge - it's almost like Brian was reading my mail ... or whatever.

I asked Brian about Wilber out at Jason Clark's blog in May when he stopped by to answer questions about the new book. He said that he had read some of his stuff but that he didn't agree with everything. I'm sure the comment is still out there on Clark's blog:
http://emergent.typepad.com/jasonclark/2005/05/talk_with_brian.html#comments

What I think is going on in terms of first and second tier is that Emergent is made up of Green and Yellow/Turqu., but those two camps have confusion between them for the reasons that Beck has showed us very clearly. From Green's perspective, Yellows seem to be sell-outs and going back to lower memes because of the desire to apply skillful means. This is a big problem because they will resist this sort of activity. The added problem is that there are alot of lower meme people who are attracted by Emergent, but they each choose their favorite parts according to their denominational flavor and SD center of gravity and the other stuff is debated in the good ol' Modern fashion. I think Emergent is wise to avoid the debate. Brian is truly a master at this. He can maintain a convo without it degrading into debate. It makes him look weak and irrational when he is analyzed by debators, but that's how it goes.

Going pomo exacts a high price.

I was going to post yesterday about the confusion between Green and Yellow when it comes to the issue of Diversity in Emergent, but I was too distracted by my current financial crisis. I will try again today. This is a huge issue, and Green is going to freak out when I try and show them the issue from the holonic pov. Emergent is exactly what comes out of the field of elements that are presently frothing with discontent, it is not something that comes to the field of elements and chooses which to include. Bottom up, not top down. Mass confusion.

Pray for me, this is a hot issue. We're discussing it out at "the ooze". Plz join us!!!!!!

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home